Pages

Monday, August 12, 2013

DIY Easy Dill Pickles

dill pickles (11)

I had no idea it was so simple to make pickles. I really like pickles. Not the sweet ones. They have to be dill. And my 4 year-old loves them, too. No canning required. (Even though I would love to learn to do that.) 


It’s a great time of the year to buy cucumbers. I've used several varieties to make pickles. And it’s a whole lot cheaper than buying the good ones at the store.

First, start by combining 2 cups of water, 1/4 cup of vinegar and 1/8 cup salt in a saucepan. Mix well, boil, mixing occasionally.
dill pickles (2)
Chop your cucumbers into strips. I cut out most the seeds. You could cut them into slices instead, but I just did strips.
dill pickles (3)

Pack them into a clean jar. (You might want to heat it under warm water to keep it from breaking. I had no problems, though.)
dill pickles (4)

Next, add the brine to the jar. Crush a few cloves of garlic into the jar, put a lid on it,  and put in the fridge for a day. You can store them for awhile (3 months? just a guess) or eat them the next day.
dill pickles (5)

No canning required.
dill pickles (6)


Places I have linked:
Or So She SaysTrain to CrazyTater tots & Jello Merry Messy Life, Sugar Bee CraftsReasons to Skip the Housework,  The 36th Avenue, House of HepworthsSomeday CraftsSouthern Lovely504 Main,Serenity Now,  Fingerprints on the FridgeI heart NapTime, Classy ClutterA Glimpse Inside, Somewhat SimpleGingerly MadeSerenity NowToday's Creative BlogThe Winthrop ChroniclesHome Stories A to ZCraftyScrappyHappy

4 comments:

  1. oooh! i like how you used a sauce jar. i definitely have those 'sitting' around waiting for something like this. thanks for the idea!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have this problem that I save jars...and this summer, I've been using them a lot! I use them to freeze chicken broth, too, just have to be careful that I don't overfill them and they break in the freezer.

      Delete
  2. Those sound SO good. We're all huge pickle lovers but I've still never tried making my own ... I definitely have to change that. Thanks for sharing at Project Inspire{d}!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so smart with the sauce jar! Never made my own! If you have any desserts you love, we'd love for you to come over to our newest link party over at The Inspiration Network: DELISH- a desserts only link party. Bring your desserts and let's party!!
    http://theinspiration-network.com/delish-dessert-link-party-no-1/

    Smiles,
    Melanie {Reasons To Skip The Housework} and Diana {The Girl Creative}
    The Inspiration Network

    ReplyDelete

Spelling or grammar will not be criticized, so there's no reason not to leave me a comment!