Pages

Monday, April 8, 2013

Latest Favorite Recipes.

What is something many of us have to do every day? Cook. Feed our families. I’ve made a few new recipes over the past several weeks and wanted to share some of my favorites with you.
chicken rice soup and cheddar biscuit (1)


Everyone has had bad colds at my house. And our littlest had a bad ear infection. So chicken soup was on the menu. It helped that I had homemade broth and extra cooked chicken on hand. I turned those items into chicken rice soup (since I had leftover rice, too!). Here’s the directions I used…keep in mind that I did not really measure the quantities, so they’re approximate. Soup is forgiving.

Chicken Rice Soup:
2 t butter
3 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 onion, peeled and chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
4 stalks of celery, sliced
12-14 cups homemade stock
3-4 cups cooked rice
3 cups cooked, diced chicken
salt and pepper to taste

Begin by melting the butter in a large soup pot. Add the onion, garlic, carrots and celery and cook over low heat until tender, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.  Add the stock, rice, and chicken, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Add salt and pepper as needed.

These homemade Cheddar Biscuits were amazing (pictured with the soup, above). I actually cut back on the butter (using one stick, not 1.5 sticks) and didn’t make the butter topping. And they were fantastic. I froze half of them for later use.

I made these mini quiches last week. They are from a friend’s blog and were wonderful! Not too many ingredients are needed. I used regular sized muffin tins, not mini tins and baked them maybe 2 minutes longer. They also froze well. Both of my little boys liked them.

And this pork chop and potato crock pot recipe was a winner. I made the condensed soup myself. I only used one packet of ranch dressing mix in the recipe (plan to make my own next time) but it still turned out really well. And I’m not usually a big pork chop fan.

So there are a few recipes our family has really enjoyed the past few weeks. What are some new things you’ve been making?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spelling or grammar will not be criticized, so there's no reason not to leave me a comment!