Pages

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Blogging Questions: Running out of Picasa Space

If you’re not a blogger or a tech-y person, you may want to skip this post.
I blog using the Blogger platform. I keep thinking of getting my own domain, but haven’t decided to take the leap just yet. However, I ran out of Picasa space. I knew that blogger stores all my photos for my blog in Picasa, but I didn’t know that it was limited on space.

Well, it is. And I’m nearly to my 1 Gigabyte of space. (I have a blog with pictures & videos of my boys, too. It contributes to the storage limit as well.) I had noticed that Picasa seems to have two of every photo stored for the posts I’ve written using Live Writer. One is the original size and then one is smaller. I wanted to go and delete each larger, original sized photo, but I wasn’t sure how to determine which one was being used on my site. This is how I figured it out:
Look in the bottom left hand corner of the screen. See how the circle I drew is empty? No views. Safe to delete if you had two pictures and wrote the post using Live Writer.
no views. safe to delete
Contrast that with this screen shot:
has views. do not delete!
Shows that there are views. I am assuming it is live (hosted from this image source) on my blog and not deleting that photo.
If you delete a photo that was being hosted(?) from your Picasa album, this is what you will see:
screen shot
So anyway, I am glum today that my storage is so full. I am not willing to buy more storage from Picasa/Google, so I don’t know what my options are if I want to keep blogging. I deleted a bunch of pictures and am now down to 94% storage.
I have seen several places that pictures don’t count toward you storage quota if they are below a certain amount of megapixles. I am also unwilling to resave every picture I ever want to put on either blog. Anyone out there have any options for me? Would switching to my own domain even help me with this problem?

10 comments:

  1. Bummer! Switching to your own domain name won't help, unfortunately. The domain name is just the name (the difference, for example, between monkeyseemonkeydo.blogspot.com and monkeyseemonkeydo.com). You would have to pay for your own web hosting as well in order to get more space...

    Sorry I don't have any useful advice for doing it for free. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Change the pixel size of your pictures...that will give you a lot more storage space. You don't need huge pixel size for blogs. Mine are mostly less than 800 pixels and they look just fine. That's the advice that worked for me, hope it works for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, I am going to start doing that. I'm wondering if it will help load the page faster, too?

      Delete
  3. I had this issue this week too so I just started uploading my pics to Flickr and then you can get the web address of your photo (i think its on the share button somewhere) and insert it into my post from a url. If you're thinking about doing this let me know and I'll take some screenshots in the morning and do you a tutorial x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info! I might try that. I have started resizing the pictures to around 640 x 480 pixles-ish and then I *think* picasa will save them as taking up no space. I've seen a few places that pictures smaller than 800 px don't count toward the limit.

      Delete
    2. Yup, I looked into it and you're right, anything under 800 x 800 doesn't count towards it. I posted the picasa terms section on my blog here if you want to read it from the horse's mouth (so to speak!)
      http://handmadebymrsh.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/the-truth-about-blogger-picture-storage.html

      Delete
  4. I had this issue this week too so I just started uploading my pics to Flickr and then you can get the web address of your photo (i think its on the share button somewhere) and insert it into my post from a url. If you're thinking about doing this let me know and I'll take some screenshots in the morning and do you a tutorial x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am wondering if you could use Photo bucket?

      Delete

Spelling or grammar will not be criticized, so there's no reason not to leave me a comment!