Pages

Monday, August 13, 2012

Upcycled Handmade Pants with Flannel Lining.

handmade flannel lined pants size 3T long (7)
I’m starting to understand why quality clothing made by workers who are paid a fair wage costs money.  Meaning: Made in the USA!
It is a lot of work to make clothes that fit well. Fabric costs money. Thread costs money. And it takes time to press all the seams open and make clothing items look professional. 
handmade flannel lined pants size 3T long (8)
These pants aren’t perfect. But they turned out well. My kid is super tall and skinny. So I figured if I made some extra-long pants with cuffs that can roll and then be un-rolled as he grows taller, he could wear them for a long time.
  handmade flannel lined pants size 3T long (9)
I decided to use the pattern from MADE and her tutorial for making reversible pants. I added about 2.5” to the waist and 3” to the length. I don’t have a serger, so I pressed and turned under the waist and leg seams twice. The added inches gave me ample fabric for that and also made them longer for my growing child.
  handmade flannel lined pants size 3T long (10)
I cut the pattern for a gathered front but just made them with a flat front. I haven't had the best luck using her pattern for flat front pants; I can't get the waistband turned down without any gathers.
And the upcycled part…the exterior fabric is from a pair of pants my husband has owned since high school. They were stained in one spot, but I cut around it.
The little guy was quite happy to pose after I promised him a cookie.handmade flannel lined pants size 3T long (14)
He did a lot of funny poses, too. Love these pants. They should fit well in the fall!handmade flannel lined pants size 3T long (5)

6 comments:

  1. Okay, I'm from California (first 25 years of my life) so I just laughed at my then-boyfriend-now-husband the first time he pulled out his red plaid flannel lined jeans in college (we were in Tulsa, OK during the ridiculous ice storm in 2007). My experience with "dressing for weather" was limited to putting a sweatshirt on over my tank top. But OMG now that we live in Chicago I'm sooo jealous! Maybe I'll make a pair for myself :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! Bet you'd wear them a lot in Chicago! Go for it.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for sharing at The Fun In Functional!

      Delete
  2. this is a great project - so glad I live in the South though, no snow, but we still a "wet" cold.
    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the South would be a great place to live. We slosh through a lot of snow and slush.

      And I hate boots. I love sandals.

      Delete
  3. I love flannel lined pants! They make such a difference when you are cold. I grew up in the north, but now live in the very warm south. I would still love a pair of flannel lined pants for those few cold days. Great idea!

    I would love it if you would share this at the Smart Solutions linky party. You can link up here:

    http://theprudentpantryblog.blogspot.com/2012/08/prudent-projects-smart-solutions-week-7.html

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

Spelling or grammar will not be criticized, so there's no reason not to leave me a comment!