Pages

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Handmade Bag Trio

bag collage
A good friend is getting married next month. She asked me to make some bags for her to give as gifts to others who will be helping with her wedding in some way.

IMG_5609
She chose a bag that was pleated and had a “U” shape. I found a pattern to use and got to work!
I made three of them. I took great care to put my best work into them. Sometimes I’m a hurried seamstress, wanting to finish one project so I can go on to the next.
handmade yellow bag with metal snap
But with these, I worked hard to make every seam look good. I learned a lot about how much work goes into making a purse. 
turquoise retro bag

I learned how to do magnetic snaps. I had no idea button holes were required! But I made the required button holes!
IMG_5841
 I even used interfacing, despite disliking the stuff. It really was necessary for use with quilting-weight fabric. 
yellow print bag with strap
I am thinking of making another to put in my Etsy shop. Thoughts?

Speaking of weddings, my husband and I are celebrating eight years of marriage today! 

21 comments:

  1. So cute! Definitely Etsy shop worthy =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! I'll keep you posted. I've got some other projects planned first, but maybe I'll skip them in favor of making another bag.

      Delete
  2. These are awesome! I love a bag that has a different patterned lining. I also vote Etsy shop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gave you a shout out: http://wineandglue.blogspot.com/2012/07/bloggy-love-blogs-im-lovin.html

      Delete
    2. Thanks! And thanks for the shout-out and your sweet words! Love how your 4th of july dress turned out, by the way!

      Delete
  3. Cute bags! I get in a hurry too. Glad I'm not the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great bags! You did a fantastic job, as I'm sure they were time consuming to make. I'm sure you could sell a lot in your store. Thanks for linking up at Hookin On Hump Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so cute! Put them on Etsy for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO so cute, what pattern did you use?

    Carlee
    www.ladybirdln.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used the retro bag pattern from the newer 'One Yard Wonders' book.

      Delete
  7. It's nice to know you can slow down and create wonderful things, isn't it? And these gifts are wonderful. It would be a shame if you don't sell a few now that you've developed all of those fancy new skills.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are really nice. You might want to choose fusible fleece or a layer of felt between the outer and the lining to give it some nice bulk. Sometimes quilting cotton bags just don't have enough weight to them for a nice luxurious feel but those can add nicely. Felt is obviously cheaper!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion. I wasn't all that happy with the way the quilting fabric seemed to wrinkle. I used some home dec weight fabric for another bag I made (found here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/108691842/red-pleated-cross-body-bag ) and it worked better. A layer of felt is something i had not thought about using. Thanks!

      Delete
  9. Jennifer, what pattern is this? I love it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Spelling or grammar will not be criticized, so there's no reason not to leave me a comment!