Pages

Monday, April 2, 2012

Simple Placemat Tutorial

simple placemat tutorialstriped placemat with freezer paper stencilMy kitchen needed some spring updates. And since I live in a home where spring means it is {finally} time to get out our road bikes, I figured I’d give it a little bike theme. Similar to the bike kitchen towels I made a few weeks ago. 
Here is how I made four of these cute placemats.


I cut 8 pieces of fabric 12” x 18”. (I used this size because that’s the size of my cutting mat. In hindsight, I should have made them bigger. Oh well. They’ll work.)
Then I used the freezer paper stenciling technique to paint bikes on four of them.
bike stencil   

Each placemat will be made of two of the 12” x 18” pieces you cut. After the paint dries completely, pin each placemat together with right sides together.
IMG_4915

Stitch around the perimeter with a 1/4” seam allowance. Leave a 3” opening to turn the placemat to right sides out. Clip the corners.
IMG_4916 

Use the opening to turn the placemat right sides out.
IMG_4917

Use a pointed object to push out each corner.
  IMG_4918

After you have the placemat turned right sides out, it’ll be a little puffy. You’ll need to press it carefully.  IMG_4920

Before you press, you’ll want to make sure each seam is crisp. Otherwise the seams could be uneven.IMG_4921

After pressing the whole placemat and making sure the raw edges are turned under uniformly with the rest of the seam, top stitch around the whole perimeter. Pivot at each corner to make them crisp. (Below is an especially nice corner.)
IMG_4922 

Here’s a peek at the wrong side of my placemats. I matched up the stripes when cutting to make sure the front and backs matched at the edges.
IMG_4923 

Repeat three more times for the remaining placemats!
IMG_4924
P.S. If you've been following my blog for awhile, you might recognize this fabric. I bought it on ebay forever ago. I think this is the last of it. I've used it to recover a high chair, this tote bag, recover my ironing board, and make a sewing machine cover. Whew! I like it, but I'm a little tired of it at this point! It was a great purchase, though.
IMG_4914
Dresses from Shabby Apple

9 comments:

  1. Pretty! This would be nice in a fabric that can be wiped off too. We make such a mess :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea and I love the colors. I'm your newest follower. I hope you will check out my blog too. http://sister-number-5.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the color scheme you have on these. So springish! Thanks for sharing at Handmade Tuesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the colors~ perfect for the season! Thanks for sharing at {Homemade By You}

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great! What a neat idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore the bicycle stencil. What bright and cheery placemats.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I ordered canvas with cute cartooned kitties on it from Spoonflower.com to make placemats for my Aunt for Christmas. If the fabric is perfect, you just need a simple placemat and this is perfect. http://www.spoonflower.com/fabric/3967828

    The fabric designer also made the same design with individual cartoon cats in a pillow size 17 inches square, so I'm making napkins to match. I'm just going to use a very small, tight zigzag stitch on the edges and they'll be done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was really feeling the need to “ground” myself and I often do that by creating. This project caught my eye and worked up in one evening. I made 8 of them last night and loved the project, the process and the outcome. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pinterest sent me here and I'm glad it did.

    ReplyDelete

Spelling or grammar will not be criticized, so there's no reason not to leave me a comment!