Pages

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

My Favorite Jeans: Fixed

This would’ve been the third pair of jeans in about a year that have worn out. I’ve already made two of the pairs of jeans into shorts. Seeing that it is October, I don’t really need any shorts.

To prolong the life of these favorite jeans, I put a patch of denim behind the hole and just stitched some straight lines across the patch.

IMG_3077

It isn’t all that noticeable. IMG_3080

If you want to do this to your jeans, the hardest part is getting the knee onto the arm of the sewing machine. I recommend rolling up the pant leg neatly as high as possible to get it around the sewing machine’s arm.

10 comments:

  1. Great tip. Thanks for linking up to Totally Tutorial Tuesday.

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very useful information. I have actually thrown out jeans that had a rip that I didn't think could be fixed. Now I know how to fix them. So happy to have you share this @ Show & Share! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. why not just open the in side seam then when done sew it back, that is how I do it in my shop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great point. However, I don't have a serger so I can't fix the seam if I ripped it all out.

      Delete
    2. I have mended jeans that way for years, schrieber3, so much easier than wrestling the pant leg.

      Delete
  4. I don't understand where to find instructions... Help? As far as I can see is only to the point of rolling up the pant leg neatly to get it around the sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The instructions were just to place a patch (scrap) of fabric behind the hole and stitch (with a straight stitch) back and forth across the hole in varying directions.

      Delete
  5. I use Fray Check to encircle a weak spot in the fabric. It's a fabric glue that doesn't wash out, doesn't change the texure of the fabric, and dries clear. I've saved several pairs of jeans so far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I Really barely sew but, my 19 yr old son ripped the knee out of a pair of stupid-expensive jeans (I didn't buy them) and I feel compelled to repair them. If I give them to my mother, who really sews, he'll look like 2nd grade with an iron on patch. I don't need it to look "cool", just fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, me again, I forgot to say that I'd prefer to hand sew the jeans.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Spelling or grammar will not be criticized, so there's no reason not to leave me a comment!