Pages

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Guest Post from Sweet Basil

Hi everyone!! I'm Carrian from Sweet Basil. I post about recipes I've found to be delicious or that I've created myself. I also work over at Simply the Sweet Life. A new magazine that is as beautiful as it is wonderful and I'm so excited to be posting on Monkey See Monkey Do! It's such a great site (Hello! Did you see the rocking chair re-upholstery? Awesomeness!) Jennifer was so kind to let me do a guest post and I hope it helps at least one of you out.

I think that one of the best ways to save money is to do smart grocery shopping. This could obviously be a huge post about couponing, shopping sales, staying on a budget etc, but we can talk about that another time. One of the best ways that I've found is to plan out my meals. Every week I post a meal plan on Monday so that you can have all week to get to the grocery store and buy your ingredients. Then at the end of the week (or beginning of the next week if you want to say it correctly) you use the meal plan.

I am a big believer in buying foods and then trying to use the ingredients and leftovers in other meals that week so you don't waste anything. Planning it out means less trips to restaurants, to the store and less over buying which in the end means more money in your pocket.

Here's just one example.

You buy a big ol' juicy roast. Bake it up on Sunday, eat yourselves silly, and have tons of leftovers.

Then on Monday or Tuesday you turn that delicious pork into Tostadas!!!


And then, if you are anything like my family you will probably have leftover tortillas, black beans etc. You could turn those into something that weekend like,


This time things did end up a little on the Mexican side, but it doesn't have to be. Remember pizza one night could mean using the sauce and mozzarella for lasagna the next or a rotisserie chicken turned soup or chicken salad the next night!

Thanks for having me, Jennifer!! I hope you'll all stop by Sweet Basil and say HELLO!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spelling or grammar will not be criticized, so there's no reason not to leave me a comment!