Pages

Monday, February 21, 2011

Newborn Winter Hat Tutorial


Friends of ours are having a baby girl any day now. It's cold here! All babies should have warm heads, so I wanted to make a stylish winter hat as a gift!

I started with a piece of white polar fleece, size 9" x 16". I had to go back and trim some off the height, so I recommend cutting more like 7" x 16".
Fold up the bottom about 1", pin in place, and sew.


Then fold the whole hat in half (right sides together) and sew it to make a big tube. Pinch the top of the hat so it makes an "X" and pin it in place (see next picture).
Sew from the edge of each portion of the X to the middle. Make sure that one of the seams goes through the middle or there will be a hole at the top of the hat.
Here's the top view of the "X":
To make the flower, cut three pieces of polar fleece in different sized flower-shaped pieces.
Stack them and put some small stitches through the middle.
Turn the hat right side out.
Attach the flower to the brim.


All finished and ready for gifting! Pretty cute...I might have to make one for myself!

2 comments:

  1. This is absolutely adorable! I can see how cute it will look on a newborn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE it! Thanks for the simple yet beautiful idea and instructions!

    ReplyDelete

Spelling or grammar will not be criticized, so there's no reason not to leave me a comment!