Pages

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Sew a Luggage Tag!

I have a lot of family members who fly all the time, especially my brother. I love making gifts but have trouble thinking of ideas for men. So I thought I could make him a luggage tag. Please bear in mind, I want to finish it with some clear vinyl sewn as a pocket where he could slip a business card to identify his bag. (I just didn't have any...and the nearest craft store is about 30 minutes away from where we're living right now...so I'll start a list!!)

I used corduroy fabric, so I didn't use any interfacing. I really don't like interfacing. I never seem to have it when I need it. I don't ever know what weight to buy. So I thought corduroy would have enough body (especially after I add the vinyl). I cut two pieces 3 1/2" x 5" and one piece 2" x 12".I sewed the 2"x12" piece into a tube and turned it. Then I sewed the rectangular pieces together (right sides together) and left a hole for turning.
I pressed the pieces, then sewed the tube into the hole left by turning on the rectangle. I top stitched around the whole thing to secure the tube.
If you use corduroy or another type of fabric that stretches, be careful not to sew the long edges against the grain. Otherwise, it will look like this:

1 comment:

Spelling or grammar will not be criticized, so there's no reason not to leave me a comment!